Monday 25 August 2008

Santiago de Compostela

Our 50 km 'completo'day ended after 14 hours with a collapse onto a bed in a massive Albergue at Monte do Gozo just 4km outside Santiago.
We walked into Town around 9am,Sat 23rd decided we would forgo walking onto the Square by the Cathedral until we got accommodation.The signs were not good but we did get an hotel of 'character' down a back street only 5 mins from Cathedral.Turns out to have a bar and v good restaurant.
After dumping bags had coffee then we went to Pilgrim Mass at Noon.
Got my Compostela/certificate shortly afterwards.Basically,now had couple of days recuperating and meeting people from the various Camino's.
Conor my latest walking partner managed a 16 hour bender.As we had only one set of keys I couldn't sleep until he staggered back to the hotel - so me giving up after 'only' 11 hours (plenty of coffee's-lightweight really)was not that good an idea.
Tomorrow go out West towards 'the end of the world'.My guide book says 75km but locals & people who've walked it say 95km.That's thick end of 5 miles extra per day.I'm told it's beautiful so I'm looking forward to it.
As much as I needed rest & have enjoyed Santiago a day not walking feels like a day wasted...
My nearest & dearest will be glad to know I'm now 'sleeker'-tragically only by about 2 ounces.

No comments: